Can I insure a car that is not in my name?

On many occasions we have a relative or friend, whom we want to help, wanting to ensure their car is under our name or for some other reason. But in most cases, it’s unlikely you’ll be able to ensure a car that isn’t in your name. However, you can co-title a vehicle or add someone as a named insured to your auto policy.

In general, whoever is the titular owner of a car should be the one who insures it. Salvage Auto insurance companies want to make sure that the primary policyholder has what is called an insurable interest in the car they are insuring.

Insurable interest essentially means that you have a reason to insure a vehicle. If you own the car, the reason is obvious: the car is your investment, so you have an interest in preventing it from being damaged or destroyed.

But it’s harder to show your vested interest if you don’t actually own a vehicle. When you try to insure a vehicle you don’t own, insurance companies will be wary of fraud and much less likely to let you take out a policy.

But while it’s rare to open a policy on a car you don’t own, that doesn’t mean you’re out of options.

Can I insure a car that I do not own?

As we mentioned earlier, it’s often impossible to insure a car you don’t own because insurance companies want you to prove that you have an insurable interest in the vehicle. If you can’t prove that you have a financial stake in the car, it’s unlikely you’ll be able to find an auto insurance company willing to cover it.

See also  Things you should know about carpet cleaning

How to show trustworthy interest

To show your credible interest when you apply for insurance, you may need to present a car registration or title, which is an official document that says who owns a vehicle. But if you don’t own a car, it’s harder to prove to an insurance provider that you have a legitimate reason to insure it.

Other coverage options for a car that is not in your name

Except in exceptional cases, you will not be able to ensure a car that is not your property. However, you may have some alternative options.

1. Co-title of a cart

Co-ownership of a vehicle means that you are adding an additional owner to a car. Each state’s Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV) has specific requirements to do this, but to add an owner to a car, you’ll likely need to jointly apply for a new title.

2. Add a named insured on an auto policy

If you live with someone and frequently drive their vehicle, say a roommate or family member, an insurance company may require you to be added as a named insured on their auto policy, or vice versa. Generally, all drivers in a household must be added as named insureds on a policy.

3. Non-owner insurance

While you may not be able to insure a car you don’t own, if you want to protect yourself as a driver, you can look into something called non-owner car insurance. Ideal for drivers who frequently rent or borrow cars, non-owners insurance is a kind of reduced car insurance policy. Typically, it only includes liability coverage.

If you are in a situation where you are driving a vehicle that is not in your name, either because someone else used your credit to finance the vehicle for you or for any other reason.

See also  Angioplasty Balloons Market Trends and Dynamics, Drivers, Competitive landscape and Future Opportunities 2026

Contact Us we can help you find a coverage option at an affordable price.